The ONE thing you need to be successful




THE ONE THING THAT WILL GET YOU FURTHEST IN LIFE:



Of course this is from my perspective but I have several friends and experts agree with me on this.  And that one thing is RESILIENCY.  According to Dictionary.com resiliency is "the power or ability to return to the original form, position, etc, after being bent, compressed or stretched; elasticity. and ability to recover readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyancy.

I believe that your resiliency determines your company, your attitude, your success in life.  If you have the ability to see that adversity brings growth you will recover at a faster rate, spending less time with a crummy attitude, which attracts great relationships, leading to successes in life.

Resiliency requires you to use repetition and be consistent.  Part of what makes resiliency is having habits that stick even when something goes awry.  Even when if you have an off day consistency and repetition will push you forward because it is just something you do, because you have always done it, because you developed that habit.  The best thing about repetition and consistency is that even small steps forward each day will help snow ball or compound into big changes over time.  One of my favorite books is all about this idea.


Resiliency helps you develop a growth mindset.  We aren't in this world to only stay as we are.  We were put here to make something of ourselves and of our experience.  By being able to adapt, by being able to bend by having the ability to recover we can rapidly improve.  Resiliency is knowing that we can always do better be more even when we don't want to, or are struggling.  The growth mindset make your point of view understand that you can always improve by taking steps forward.

Lastly resiliency creates a tribe for you.  When you have that can do it attitude people want to be around you.  To do this it is important to have a positive attitude, have a good work ethic, and have that never give up mantra.  If you think about these three qualities these are things you want your children to be, these are qualities our heroes have.  This is why I truly believe that resiliency is one of the most important things to have in order to be successful.

So now you are thinking Kathryn how do I do this? Alight here are 3 tips on how you can develop your own personal resiliency.


1. Build your mindset. Building your own positive attitude, and knowing that failure will lead to learning and learning leads to success.  By doing both of theses things your failures become easier to bounce back from.

2. Write a list of your 10 failures in life and find the light in them.  I told a dear friend yesterday that somehow the greatest "failures" in life ended up being my most valued experiences because of the eminence learning I received from them.  This isn't always a pleasant experience honestly, especially when you start because you will look at these things and realize "oh crap what a failure" but there is always something to be learned.  There is always something that you can use for the future to propel yourself to success. Let me give you an example, I almost failed out of college.  Being that my sister brother-in-law, father, and mother all have masters degrees and up this would look like a failure to most.  And it felt like a failure to me.  It's not something to be proud of, and yet because of my resiliency (which didn't come right away btw), I was able to graduate once I was ready to go back.  I left college with a gpa under a 1.0, which is crazy and I ended up graduating with a 3.112, and a 3.622 in my major.  Did I mention I was working full-time, driving 2+  hours to get to and from work for the majority of my return?   I wasn't ready for college the first time, I didn't care I didn't see the point and I was suffering from severe depression, however without that failure of an experience I would not have had the fortitude to work my butt off upon going back.  I also knew that if I returned I would have to put all my effort into school.  Because of this mindset I passed all of my classes including Bio-Mechanics (which I hadn't ever taken a geometry, physics before and had limited anatomy experience), and passed a calls with a high marks that I had failed 2 times prior.  I don't say any of this to brag it is more to provide an understanding that our attitude about how we are going to go into something makes all the difference.

3. Take risks to insure failure.  What Kathryn??? This seems like a freaking bad idea.  But my dear friend it is not! It's like with anything else practice makes perfect.  The more you put yourself in situations that require you to fail or at least give you big odds to fail you can experience failure.  If you are only doing things that you know you will succeed in when it comes to failure it is going to be really hard to know how to handle it.  Test yourself go out today and do something that you are sure to fail at and then figure out how you can learn from it.


You are resilient!
How are you so resilient?
   Because you know how to fail
   You know how to learn from your failures



With love and sparkles

Kathryn

Comments

Popular Posts